Saturday, October 1, 2011

What Scares Me

As an artist whose work leans towards horror more often than not, I get asked what scares me. Since it's now the first day of October, and in an abstract spirit of Halloween, I'll let you in on it.

It's not spiders (I had tarantulas as pets for over a decade of my life), and it's not clowns. I will admit that I'd be creeped out if I saw a clown lurking on my porch around 2am though, but it's not something that truly terrifies me.

 What truly terrifies me is fanaticism. Religious and political fanatics to be precise. The thought that these people are so crazed and follow the doctrines so blindly and devoutly sends a shiver down my spine. If you don't believe and support their cause then you're the enemy and should be put to death. Now, that scares me. I imagine what would happen if these people came into power and could dictate my life and it has me hiding and shivering in the closet. The idea of these extremists wielding any form of power gives me goosebumps.

Eli Roth once made a comment on this in Time Magazine. He said, "...I see it happening now in America with religion and political parties more than anything. If you're not with us, you're against us, and if you're against us then you're against all that's good and decent and must be destroyed."

The thought of that happening has me quaking in my steel toe boots and is enough to make any sane person run for cover.



3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Edwin.

    I once came under attack just for running a popular vampire forum some years back now and arguing with them was futile.

    The world is a scary place unless you're mundane and don't even question the propaganda that's fed to us on a daily basis.

    Nice blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've just watched the video and OMG!

    If I'm right, Charlie Manson is in prison for not even killing someone, but more or less inciting it.

    This woman needs to be executed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Amanda! And you're correct, Manson never technically killed anyone. From my research, it appears that Tex Watson was responsible for the murders and had them done in an effort to gain control of The Family from Manson.

    ReplyDelete

All feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!