Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Stop! What Grabs Your Attention?

   Would you mind if I just asked you, just for the sake of helping me to understand better, what is it that really grabs your attention?

   You know, some people find, as they look at a painting which is very fascinating, that they can feel very attracted to it. Wouldn't you agree? You can feel your eyes tracing over every stroke, admiring the subtle changes of color, mysteriously creating forms which captivate you. As you look deeper and deeper, you begin to realize the mastery of the piece and you finally come to understand that it's value runs deeper than you can imagine.

   Have you ever wondered about how it would be if you owned a masterpiece like the Mona Lisa? Just think about that for a moment, the masterpiece in your possession, the way it makes you feel knowing that it's yours, that sense of wonder which turns to awe which turns to complete and total joy because you know it's priceless and beautiful beyond description. It feels good doesn't it? If I was a betting man, and I am, I'd say that you are smiling right now. That your heart may even be racing a little because you're excited at the idea of owning something so marvelous. At this very moment you have a grin on your face don't you? Or maybe you feel a little warm in the cheeks. I don't blame you, I mean I feel it all the time when I look around and view my paintings.

   There's just something about having something so thrilling and exciting that it makes you feel giddy inside. I'm sure you've felt that way too about some of my pieces. It's like the art has connected with you and is sharing it's secret. It's as if there's a cord of light going from you to it. And as that cord began to glow with the warmth of that connection, maybe you could imagine a time in the future, say a few weeks from now, while still feeling that deep connection and looking back to today and that artwork as having been the start of it?

   See, some people feel it just like that, like a snap of the fingers, and they let that connection happen instantaneously. With me, it sometimes takes a little longer. During the course of a viewing you really start to pay attention to those little details and you start to recognize those values and joys in it that fascinates you so much...with me and my work, it's the same connection and can really feel that growing bond.


You can leave a comment where you tell me what grabs your attention in the box below or you can email me your thoughts and ideas, if you'd prefer to be private.

2 comments:

  1. Von Stuck's painting "Sin."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Von Stuck's "Sin" is a fantastic piece! I love the lighting and shadow and the rendering of the serpent is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

All feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!